Saturday, October 24, 2009

Sick little boy

Our sweet little boy got his 1st ear infection this week. Thursday night when I tried to put Joseph to bed at 7:30, he cried and cried and just couldn't settle down. I rocked him, sang to him, read to him, offered him more milk, basically I tried everything and nothing seemed to work. He finally settled down by 8:30 and I thought he was asleep in his crib. 15 minutes later he was crying and screaming again. This crying continued and then around 11pm he threw up all his breakfast, lunch, and dinner from that day. :( So, we changed his pj's and sheets, and he had to take another bath. By this time he had developed a fever of 100.5 so I gave him some motrin. Our night continued with Joseph crying and not being able to sleep and his fever wouldn't go down.


First thing Friday morning I called his pediatrician and got an appt. for 2:15pm. I was worried that he might have the flu so I was anxious about getting him in to see the dr as soon as possible. Thankfully my mom came over early Friday morning to help with Joseph so I could go to sleep for a little while. Joe had to go to work. Nan and I took Joseph to the dr. and waited in the waiting room for about 20 minutes. The dr walked in and after I described Joseph's symptoms, she took one look in his ear and said right away that he had an infection in his left ear. His right ear just had a ton of drainage in it and both his ear drums were swollen. She gave us a prescription for Amoxicillin and I went and filled it right away. Joseph got his first dose Friday night and he was ready to go to sleep by his bedtime. He woke at 10pm crying and Joe helped him get back to sleep. He then slept all night and woke up early this morning at 5:45am and seemed to be back to his normal self again. He's been playing all day and this is huge b/c yesterday he just wanted to be held and didn't want to play at all. He took a decent nap this morning and is now taking a really long afternoon nap! His fever finally broke this afternoon and is now back down to normal.

We are so glad this medicine seems to be working and that Joseph is feeling better. Here are a few "sick" pictures of him not feeling so well.


1 comment:

  1. Aww, hope he is feeling better. Lily sure can relate to how painful ear infections are. Wanted to tell you that if he has any side effects from the amoxicillian like "the runs" that yogurt really helps. I also used a lot of baby powder in Lily's diapers and that helped prevent leaks. Miss you guys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete